A split system air conditioner should be serviced at least annually for it to operate at its best. Regular servicing can also help you to avoid more expensive repairs.
Depending on the age, performance and use of your system, it may need more regular servicing than a yearly check-up.
How to identify when you need a service
There are some common signs that you may need your air conditioner serviced.
1) Your air con unit has poor air flow.
This can mean your air filter is clogged. Your unit will have to work harder to generate the temperature you want, which can increase its energy usage. That means you could be paying more for its electricity than you need to.
2) You’re noticing a strange smell coming from your unit
This can be caused by poor drainage of the humidity that your unit removes from your home. Poor drainage can cause smelly mildew and mould to build up. You may find it building up on curtains, windows, cupboards and wardrobes.
3) Your air conditioner is making unusual sounds
This is a tell-tale sign that something is wrong. It may be that your fan blade needs a screw tightened or to be lubricated. You may have a refrigeration leak, or it could be caused by poor drainages or blockages.
4) Your unit is leaking
If your air conditioner is leaking, it needs urgent attention. You should call a professional straight away.
Getting your system serviced whenever you notice any of the above symptoms is highly recommended so that it can once again operate smoothly as possible.
How to extend the life of your air conditioner
Here are our top tips to extend the life of your air conditioner.
- Make sure you get it serviced at least annually by professionals.
- Keep both the inside and outside of your home as clean as possible to avoid dirty air being circulated in your system.
- Check regularly to ensure there are no blockages in the vents of your outdoor unit.
- Give your units a weekly dust with a damp cloth.
- Make sure both your indoor and outdoor units have plenty of space in each direction. For example, don’t place furniture or paintings too close to your indoor unit.
- Regularly clean or replace your filters. You should do this at least once a month during summer when your unit is getting a lot of use. A clogged filter will reduce the efficiency of your unit.
If you’re going to do any minor servicing of your air conditioner yourself in between getting it professionally done each year, make sure you turn your unit off before inspecting it.
When is the best time to get an air conditioner serviced?
The best time to get an annual service for your air conditioner is either just before or just after its peak usage periods. Those peak usage periods are obviously summer and winter, so autumn and spring are logical times to get the work done.
Of course, if your unit is showing any signs that it needs a service during summer or winter, you shouldn’t delay getting the work done.
How we can help
At Airforce Air Conditioning, we provide a full range of services for split system air conditioners, including:
- a check and clean of both your indoor and outdoor a/c units (including a coil clean)
- a clean of your a/c filter
- a functionality test
- an electrical connection test
- a temperature, gas pressure and controller check.
We also service ducted, evaporative, cassette and multi-head air conditioning systems.